Monday, March 18, 2013

Slammerkin - Twyla Perfumes




Details: 
Slammerkin
Twyla Perfumes & Apothecary

Notes: 
Golden amber, my own hand-blended, proprietary version of Egyptian Musk, vintage patchouli, pink lotus, carnation, Russian rose otto, bourbon vanilla, benzoin, immortelle and bitter almond.

I don’t know whether this has any relevance to Twyla's perfume, but there’s a book called Slammerkin by Emma Donohue, and I love it, so of course I had to try this. In the vial, Slammerkin is almost medicinal – there’s something strong and herby about it. Applied to my wrist, it’s a patchouli fiesta. For the first couple of hours that is all I can smell, and even though Twyla’s aged patchouli is pretty much the only patch I can stand, it’s still too much for me here. I don’t get the musk, the resinous amber, or the florals – just the patchouli and maybe a teeny tiny hint of bitter almond. After quite a long time it eventually fades and that’s when the amber, benzoin and vanilla come out on me, but by that time it’s quite faint. I know loads of people adore this one – Su, for example – but on me it was just a big smack in the mouth with a patchouli plant.  

Rating: 
2/5

Day 77!


3 comments:

  1. It smelled medicinal to me too, but on me I think the bitter almond was amped to where it smelled just like cherry cough syrup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I barely got the almond, the patchouli just went nuts on me. Passing this one to my hippie friend, who will probably like it a lot more than I did. ;-)

      Delete
  2. I don't dare try another Twyla, at least for while. I fear I would not like this anyway....although the combo in theory sounds good....Black Baccara has Cleopatra... which has almond and patchouli notes in it that I just love.

    ReplyDelete