Sunday, May 19, 2013

Manor - Solstice Scents



Details:
Manor
Solstice Scents

Notes: 
Woody-Vanilla Musk, Vanilla Accord, Glorious Black Agarwood & Exquisite Aloeswood.

When I test perfume samples I pull them out randomly (unlike bottles, which I use as the review of the day if it's just something I feel like wearing and I've not reviewed it previously), but sometimes I pull one out and it's a complete mystery to me. I can't decide whether I like it, I can't pick what it smells like, I just find it confusing and I can't write about it because it makes no sense to me. Manor is one of these perfumes - I have pulled it out several times this year, tested it for the day, found it baffling and put it back in the drawer for another time. I suspect it might be partially because it's a warm perfume and probably more suitable for cold weather, and since it's finally getting cold here in Adelaide, I'm starting to get my head around it a bit. I still find it a bit odd - for example, in the vial and throughout its lifespan on my wrist I smell leather, which is not mentioned at all in the notes. It brings to mind an old, antique Chesterfield. The wood is definitely there - this is very resiny - and the vanilla is not distinct to me as vanilla, but there's definitely something there sweetening it up a tad.

Manor is quite masculine, those who like the more unisex kind of perfumes might enjoy this. The sillage is fairly high for at least an hour or so, and it lasts a long time. I've been wearing it since about 9am (it's just gone 3pm now) and I can still smell it when I move my arm around. I still don't know whether I like it or not - I certainly don't hate it.

By the way, be warned those who wear light-coloured clothing - this is one that will probably stain - as evidenced by the yellow mark it left on my wrist.


Rating: 
Undecided. This one is another mystery.

Day 137!

6 comments:

  1. I have heard lots of good things about Manor and I generally like SS woody scents... so I'll have to try this at some point!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, this one is totally up your alley, Nadja.

      Delete
  2. Funny, the description made it sound kind of feminine to me! Then again, my understanding of vanilla is basic so I tend to assume anything containing it is sweet :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, there are a lot of masculine vanillas around, and many of them smell amazing!

      Delete
  3. Ah, you have just tried my all time favorite perfume in the world!

    You have to update the post on what you think. The stain on your wrist though is very odd! Unless the vanilla has really turned very resinous. Was the sample older?

    I consider Manor my signature scent, along with backups of Eternal Egypt from Nocturne, and Lilith Dreaming from Deep Midnight (a new one I love). But Manor is my dear heart!

    To me it smells like incense, wood, vanilla, and yes I feel it's hard to pinpoint and maybe that's why I love it. I do tend to like unisex scents the most too (although I get tempted by a variety of girly scents that are ususally passing fancies).

    I think I like wearing it most in cooler months. SS vanilla is the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm tempted to get another sample with my next order to see the difference between a new one and an older one. This one is from my first ever Solstice Scents order, which means it's close to two years old.

      And I've tried it again since and I still don't know if I like it or not!

      Delete